Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My First Cosplay

This con ain't big enough for the both of us.
In my short career in comics, I've gotten to draw a lot of cool characters and costumes. Occasionally, I've gotten to tweak details of certain designs, over time, to my liking. It's rare though, that I get to make something up, design something new. The job is 99% interpretation. When I was doing gaming illustration, I'd be called upon to design new characters on every page, but comics is a different bag, getting to design something is rare and special.

Okay, so the design I'm talking about, wasn't actually in or even for a story, it was for an interpretive cover. And it's still a version of X-23, not from scratch. Nevertheless, I have a fondness for The Dread Pirate Laura, I feel like I added a little something to the character, and I got to flex some atrophied character-design muscles.

Here's what makes it even more special: Someone took the time to make it real. Someone chose that costume, that character out of all the others. It's a first for me. It was just a random email asking about the physics of the skirt, and then BAM! Marjorie is sending me this:


Paola Valera with Marjorie Liu at SDCC.
 Please note Paola's attention to detail: The key, the beads on the beaded necklace, the care taken in differentiating the yellow on the top/headband from the stripes on the sleeves. The pale, pale striping on the tights. Amazing.

Compare, if you will:

3 comments:

Chris said...

Wow man, I'm sure this will be the first of many! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome man! Mimicry is said to be the highest form of flattery. I have to say though your piece with the "Dread Pirate Laura" was one of my personal favorites as well.

Kalman said...

Thank you both, I'm pretty chuffed about the whole thing!